Making playdough at home can be a fun activity for both you and your kids. And it’s easier than you may think. Here’s how to make it.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup salt
- 4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Food coloring
- Optional: Essential oils for scent (e.g., lavender, lemon, or peppermint)
- In a large saucepan, whisk together the flour, salt, and cream of tartar. This dry mixture will form the base.
- Separately, add the water and vegetable oil to a saucepan. Stir the mixture until it’s well combined.
- Place the saucepan over low to medium heat and continue to stir the mixture. It will gradually start to thicken and resemble dough. Keep stirring to prevent lumps from forming.
- Once the mixture has thickened and resembles playdough, remove it from the heat.
- If you want to make different colored batches, divide the dough into smaller portions. Add food coloring to each portion and knead. And if you want, add a few drops of essential oil for a pleasant scent.
- Let the playdough cool to room temperature. Once it’s cool, your homemade playdough is ready for play. Store it in airtight containers or resealable bags to keep it fresh.