If you’re looking to introduce your kid to some basic cooking skills, this fridge cake recipe is a great place to start. It requires key skills such as measuring, mixing, pouring, and timing, without needing to use knives or an oven. The delicious results will also provide great motivation for your kids to join you in the kitchen!
Ingredients (to make 12):
- 2 cups of chocolate
- 1 cup of biscuits
- 1 cup of unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons of golden syrup
- 1 cup of dried fruit
- 1/2 cup of chopped mixed nuts
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave or using the bain-marie method. You can do this whilst your kids watch if you’re nervous about them attempting this. Stir the butter into the chocolate to melt it.
- Wrapping the biscuits up in a plastic bag, use a rolling pin to break them into small pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the melted chocolate, biscuits, chopped nuts, and dried fruit. Stir everything together to ensure it’s well coated.
- Add the golden syrup to the mix, giving everything another good stir.
- Grease and line a baking tray and pour the mix into it, flattening it with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Place the mix in the fridge and leave for 2-3 hours to set.