Nothing says Christmas like a bit of baking, and kids often love getting involved (especially with decorating and icing). These Christmas cookies are hard to get wrong, and can be iced with any decorations you and your kids want to put on them.
Ingredients (to make 12):
- 3 cups of plain flour
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 teaspoon of baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of butter
- 1 cup of caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- For the icing:
- 1 cup of icing sugar
- 1/2 cup of warm water
- (Food dye, if desired)
- Cream the butter and sugar together until the mix is pale and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat until completely combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt. Beat in until it is combined.
- Flour a surface and then knead the cookie dough for five minutes until completely smooth and lump-free.
- Cut out the cookies and place them on a greased and lined baking tray.
- Bake for 15 minutes in an oven heated to 350 degrees F.
- Allow the cookies to cool. Make the icing by combining the icing sugar with the warm water, mixing until you have a thick, smooth icing.
- Get creative with your decorating as you ice, you can add candies, sprinkles, and food dye to the icing to make the cookies as eye-catching as possible!