Macaroni and cheese is a favorite among kids. And who can blame them? Hot and gooey cheese mixed with pasta is absolutely delicious. But, as we know, it’s not the most nutritious. Thankfully, there’s a way to transform this beloved dish into a nutritious meal that your kids will still adore. Here are some ideas.
Whole Wheat: Whole wheat pasta adds fiber and nutrients compared to regular pasta. Gluten-free options like quinoa or brown rice pasta are also great.
Pureed Vegetables: Secretly boost nutrition by adding pureed vegetables like butternut squash, carrots, or cauliflower. These veggies blend seamlessly into the cheese sauce, enhancing vitamins and fiber without compromising taste.
Spices and Herbs: Use spices like paprika, garlic powder, and mustard powder to add depth of flavor without extra salt.
- Follow the package instructions to cook the pasta al dente.
- In a saucepan, warm the milk and then gradually add the cheese, stirring until it melts.
- Incorporate the pureed vegetables and spices into the sauce.
- Mix the cooked pasta and cheese sauce in a baking dish.
- Place the dish in a preheated oven (350°F) and bake until the top is golden brown, about 20-25 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy!